Windows XP is an operating system created by Microsoft for personal computers including home, workplace desktops, c and media centres. It is one of the most admired Windows OS with its huge user base.Sponsored Links
The word “XP” is abbreviation for “experience” which emphasize on its ability to provide enhanced user experience.
This OS is descendant of Windows 2000 and Windows ME and first Microsoft customer-oriented OS, constructed on the Windows NT kernel. Windows XP was first put on the market sale on October 25, 2001 globally and more than 400 million copies came in use on PC’s by January 2006!
A new version of Windows Vista came into existence by January 2007. However the Direct OEM and retail sales of XP were closed down on June 30, 2008, the company continued to sell Windows XP through their smaller OEMs until January 31, 2009. In April 2012, Microsoft reconfirmed that extended support for Windows XP and Office 2003 would continue till 2014 and recommended that consumers should start migrating to a newer version OS. With XP, Microsoft altered its earlier version operating system’s graphical user interface and came up with a more user-friendly interface than previous versions. In an attempt to lessen software piracy, Windows first time used product activation .Windows XP was the most popular operating system till August 2012, before Windows 7 took its place.Sponsored Links
Microsoft announced that this was its most significant product since Windows 95, with a redesigned look and feel to the user interface. The Windows XP operating system is built on the Windows 2000 kernel which provides a more stable and consistent environment than earlier versions Windows has launched two main versions of XP, Home and Professional. Mobility was the main focus for both editions such as features like plug and play for connecting to wireless networks. The 802.11x wireless security standard were also put in place.
The home edition is good for those who had Windows 9x/ME previously and don’t require any particular network or security features in their environment. The Windows XP Professional Edition includes more network features than the Home Edition.
Several other versions like Media Centre (1 CPU), Tablet PC Edition, Server Edition (4 CPU) also came into existence in later years.
Windows XP Professional x64 was published in April 2005 which was able to utilize At most 16 GB RAM and virtual address range got extended to 16 TB.Sponsored Links
here is a list of some standard features provided by windows XP home and professional editions.
- Simplified user interface
- Windows Media Player
- Fast user switching
- Remote control for the diagnosis
- Windows Movie Maker
- Internet Explorer 6.0
- Network assistant
- Fast user switching
There are some special features provided in Windows XP – Professional Edition:
- Creation of offline files
- Backup/recovery function
- Use of multiple monitors
- Remote connections
- ASR – Automated System Recovery
- Integration of dynamic data storage
- Integration of the PC in a domain
- EFS support in the file system
- SMP (use of more than one processor)
- Send and receive Fax support
- Use as a terminal service client
- Use as a NetWare-Client
- User guidelines (Policies)
- File system encrypting
Digital Photography and Windows XP
digital photography is the best feature in XP among numerous other functions and features of Windows XP, it lets you move your pictures directly from your digital cameras to your computer systems
Windows XP also comes with a Windows Movie Maker system, you can use your PCs to add and edit moves and other music files with simple drag and drop. You can experience really smooth and prompt playback files. You can also enjoy your favourite music with Windows Media Play. You can effortlessly be in touch with your friends using Windows Messenger and Widows Live ID. Through Windows XP, you can also keep all your data and other crucial files protected and safe.
- Windows XP gives very quick start and hibernation.
- Windows XP supports many different DSL modems and other Wireless networking connections, networking through the Bluetooth and FireWire is also possible.
- Windows XP OS provides more user-friendly interfaces on Microsoft .Net frameworks for better themes for desktop environments.
- It allows fast user switching, which is a great way to save the existing states and other open applications.
- Windows XP’s remote desktop functions are quite handy functions that make it possible to connect the running Windows XP Pro of your computer from across a network.
Comparison from previous versions
- One of the best quality about Windows XP is that it is much more crash proof than earlier window version Windows Me
- Windows XP is extra strong on the Internet than previous windows versions. Windows XP downloads files faster over DSL.
- Windows XP has superior photo managing and printing utilities as compared to previous versions. With Windows XP, photo managing
- Software is no longer needed. Its photo printing utilities allow you to select pictures and then arrange them on the page.
- Hibernate/ Game saving mode is one of the greatest power saving feature of XP which saves the state of your desktop before shutting down the computer.
- When the computer is rebooted it loads computer’s hibernate save into memory bypassing the normal start-up.
- Microsoft XP provides an easy way to copy multiple files to a CD-RW without formatting CD-RWs. You can simply put a blank CD-R in the drive and drag a file of your choice onto your CD-RW icon, Windows XP will simply write the file to the CD-R disk.
- In essence, System restore is a Windows registry saver and restorer. Your Windows registry can be saved easily to a previous “working version”. This feature is especially useful for changing network settings.
- Some of your games and old peripherals may have compatibility issues with Windows XP. However windows 2000 compatible hardware and software work fairly well with Windows XP.